News from Berkeley
Here you will find up to date information about what's going on in the WCS Berkeley Chapter. It's easy to find who to contact, where to go and when it's all happening! If you need to reach us, please email the Berkeley Managers.
Please make sure that you membership is current. Take a photo of your membership card so you always have it with you. Non-members are ineligible to win. RENEW MY MEMBERSHIP and enjoy all the perks including discounts, freebies and more.
SONGWRITER COMPETITION INFORMATION
- Second Thursday of the month with January being on Thursday the 16th (please check calendar)
- Location: Ashkenaz 1317 San Pablo Ave Berkeley, CA
- SIGN-UP: 6:30pm. Start time: 7:00 pm.
- Tickets $7 at the door for competing members, $15 for guests
- If you join or renew the night of the competition, admission is $7
- Be sure to invite your friends. Audience encouraged.
- Please make sure that you membership is current (Smartphone photo of card is OK)
- Non-members are ineligible to win (but can perform, time permitting)
- CONTACT the Berkeley Manager
- Songwriting Competition Rules
There are 2 winners of the Songwriting Competition each month, Best Song and Best Song Runner Up.
- Best Song of the Month wins 3 hours of studio time from our sponsor BEN LEINBACH’S OLD BULL STUDIO and an invitation to compete in the Playoffs for Best Song of the Year and a chance to compete in the Finals. Additionally, Best song winner will be on the WCS YouTube Channel as a featured artist. Video file (not YouTube link), song title, location and short blurb with link to website/facebook should be provided to email@example.com
Best Song Runner Up wins 3 hours of studio time from the renowned GAWAIN MATHEWS STUDIO.
Studio time must be redeemed within 90 days of the event. Winners are announced shortly after the end of the performances. Judge evaluations for all performers can be picked up in the lobby afterwards.
- A member can win Best Song Of The Month and Best Song Of The Month Runner Up twice during a season (with different songs) in each WCS Location. Playoffs are in July to determine Berkeley Best Song Of The Year. On September 6th, the winners of Best Song of the Year from every WCS Location compete at the Finals for WCS Best Song of the Year. Three winners are chosen to perform at the annual WCS Conference in September
SIGN-UP - Sign-up on a first-come basis, maximum 20 songs for the night, get there early if you want to perform. Only WCS members are eligible to compete, but non-members can sign-up if room available. If you want to bring lyrics for the judges (optional but recommended), give to a Chapter Manager at sign-up.
WCS Berkeley Chapter managers, Margo Fleming, Curt Ingram, Tina Dinha. berkeley@westcoastsongwriters.
PERFORMING YOUR SONG
- If you you have a backing track, give it to the sound person before the show begins.
- If you have any instrument other than guitar or piano, let the sound person know before the show begins
- If you are performing with other people, they don’t have to be WCS members but they do need to buy tickets.
- You can have someone else perform your song as long as the WCS member is the writer on the song.
- Tune your instrument in the lobby before your performance.
- When you are called “on deck”, go sit in the front row with the stage manager so you’re ready to get onstage when you’re name is called.
- When you get onstage, if you’re playing guitar, strum it a few times so the sound person can adjust your levels.
- Announce your name and title of the song.
- Performance starts at 7:00 pm and usually ends by 9:30.
- There is only time for one song for each performer.
- You can promote yourself (new releases, gigs, etc) or introduce your song, but, if you speak, keep it very short.
DATES TO REMEMBER
WCS Grand Finals: August
- Follow us on Twitter @WCSong
- Follow us on Facebook
- Subscribe to WCS YouTube
- Post our logo and link on your sites - help share the news!
WEST COAST SONGWRITERS
WCS is one of the oldest and most active songwriter organizations in the world. WCS is a non-profit with more than 1,200 members. Membership and admission charges are tax deductible. WCS is a volunteer organization. If you can volunteer, please speak with the Managers or contact WCS. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask the Managers.
BEST SONG OF THE YEAR 2020
Best Song: "Nothing For You Here" Raj Sabhlok
Best Song: "The King of the Big Double Doors" Max Newton
Best Song Runner Up: "The Ace of Diamonds" Andrew Potter
Best Song: "Nothing for you Here" Raj Sablok
Best Song Runner Up: "A Candle is a Fire" Chris Portka
Best Song: Casey Bogdan "The Same"
Best Song Runner Up: Kate McGarry "Losing Strategy #4"
Best Song: Wendell Wolff "Family and Friends"
Best Song Runner Up: Ben Wylder "Can't Say No"
Best Song: Maureen Blumenthal "Curtain of Snow"
Best Song Runner Up: Annie Hendrix "Fake It Til You Make It"
BEST SONG OF THE YEAR 2019
Best Song: Mark Lyon "Don't Tell Her Don't"
JUNE 2019 Winners:
Best Song: Mark Lyon "Don't Tell Her Don't"
Best Performance: Lorenzo Wood "Roses"
MAY 2019 Winners:
Best Song: Rose Winters "Fool Outside The Window"
Best Performance: Yolanda Cazessus "The Westside"
APRIL 2019 Winners:
Best Song: J.C. Tourbillion "Brewed Awakening"
Best Performance: Jim Terry "The Walls Stand On And On"
MARCH 2019 Winners:
Best Song: Rob Shaw "Fischer Hall"
Best Performance: Jhene Canody "Sleeping Dogs"
FEBRUARY 2019 Winners:
Best Song: Casey Bogdan "Turn Around" and
Claudia Russell "Land of Plenty"
Best Performance: Liz Becker "Wake Me Up"